Dates: October 9th - 13th, 2017 (Monday to Friday).
Description: Cochrane South Asia aims to improve the quality of health care and health policy in the South Asian region through its activities. As part of its efforts towards capacity-building among health professionals to understand and to conduct systematic reviews, ‘Protocol development workshops’ is held 3 times a year.
Who would benefit from attending the workshop?
Anyone concerned with healthcare- as providers, users, administrators, or policy makers, especially
a. Those who already have a title registered for a Cochrane or a non-Cochrane systematic review.
b. Those who are planning to be part of a clinical trial, or perform a systematic review, with specific ideas.
c. Those who are keen to understand and interpret health research results, and make healthcare better.
Venue: New Examination Hall, Conference Room ( Behind Scudder Auditorium ), CMC Bagayam Campus, Vellore
Duration: 5 days, October 9th - 13th, 2017, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Cost: INR 6000/- Indian Rupees Six Thousand only per person for healthcare professionals from educational and healthcare institutes.
INR 10000/- Indian Rupees Ten Thousand only per person for industry sponsored participants.
Cancellation charges : In case of cancellation of registration, 25% of administrative charges will be deducted and the remaining alone will be refunded.
After filling in the online registration form, please send your Demand Drafts in favor of "CMC Vellore Association" , payable at Vellore, to the following address:
Cochrane South Asia
Carman Block, Christian Medical College,
Bagayam, Vellore 632 002
Tamil Nadu, India.
Tel: 0416 2284499/4504
* Participants from CMC: Please transfer the registration fees to the Cochrane South Asia account number 22P145 and forward the copy of the letter sent to the Treasuer to firstname.lastname@example.org
Course faculty : Prof. Prathap Tharyan, Prof. Thambu David, Richard Kirubakaran, Jabez Paul Barnabas
Content of the workshop:
- Introduction to Evidence Informed Healthcare: Why is it important to perform and understand systematic reviews? What is the role of research evidence in healthcare decision-making?
- Search strategy: Why is it critical to have a comprehensive search strategy to identify and access all research articles and data relevant to a clinical question? How to perform such a search using freely available resources?
- Assessing ‘Risk of Bias’: How to assess the quality of research data thus identified? What to interpret from such quality assessments?
- Data extraction, analysis & meta-analysis: When and how to combine numerical data from similar clinical trials in ‘forest plots’ (meta-analysis) to calculate the net effect of benefits/harms of an intervention? How to interpret forest plots?
- "Summary of findings" table: How to combine results of numerical and quality assessments in "Summary of Findings" table. How to interpret such tables in heathcare decision-making?
- ‘Review Manager’ software: Why and how to write an appropriate, robust protocol for a systematic review? How to use RevMan software to prepare a Cochrane systematic review?
How to prepare for the workshop?
- Basic understanding of the following terminologies related to clinical research would be helpful.
- controlled clinical trials
- clinical equipoise
- population, sample
- intervention, control, outcome
- types of randomisation, allocation concealment, blinding/masking
- independent variable, dependent variable
- continuous outcome, categorical outcome,
- odds ratio, risk ratio (relative risk), risk difference, number needed to treat
- mean, standard deviation, mean difference, standardised mean difference
- minimal clinically important difference (MCID)
- confidence intervals
- Installation of the following software in your personal laptops would be useful during hands-on exercises :
- Help files and e-handbooks for all the above software are available free, online. A read through prior to the workshop would be of help.
During the workshop
- Lunch and refreshments would be provided on all days.
- The registration charges do not cover travel and stay arrangements, which would be the individual responsibility of the participants. Please see the following section on accommodation in external guest houses that are near the workshop venue.
- Please bring your own laptops for hands-on practice on all days. Convenient charging points would be available. Laptops with 10-11 inch screen-size are NOT ideal for convenient handling of these software, though they do work; bigger screen sizes would be preferable.
- Arrangements would be in place to provide wireless internet access at the workshop venue (password protected access- permits only one device per person). Connecitivity might not be dependable at all times. Participants are encouraged to bring personal modems/dongles for internet connectivity.
- For transport assitance from the nearby Railway Station (Katpadi) or the Nearest Airport (Chennai) please email EJ Paul at email@example.com
The following are the suggested options for accommodation close to the workshop venue. Participants are requested to directly cotact these guest houses for further information and booking as per availability.
Anand Bhavan : This is a private guest house, about 5 minutes' walk from the workshop venue. For booking enquiries, please contact Ms Desmond @ +919894065469 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Based on room availability, you might be required to make advance payment of the booking charges (INR 500 Per day) to Ms. Desmond’s Bank account.
Hotel Tharun: This is a private guest house, about 5 minutes' walk from the workshop venue. For booking enquiries, please contact @ +91-94431 16232 or +91-7200076232 or +91-416-2266232
Other hotels @ Vellore
Darling Residency – 4 km from venue
khanna Fiesta - 4 km from venue
Hotel Surabhi International – 4 km from venue
Baby Residency – 4 km from venue
Hotel Palm tree – 6 km from venue
Hotel GRT Sameera – 10 km from venue
Vanavil Veedu - 5 Min walk from CMC Medical College